Madonna, one of the most
influential figures in contemporary music is performing at Rogers Arena tonight
and tomorrow evening. Although I’m not a huge fan of her music, I did read a
very interesting article about her in The Province. It was called “Madonna: A
true feminist?” and discussed her contribution to feminism. I have found the
article online and have provided the link below.
The article brings to your
attention that there are two camps on
Madonna: “those who see her as an empowering figure of liberated female
sexuality. And those who see her as someone who promotes hypersexuality.” In my
opinion, Madonna is a positive role model for women. Although I know many
people would disagree with me... her music videos and outfits are sexual and often cause a lot of controversy. The reason I see her as a positive
role model is because even with all the criticism and negative attention placed on her (about
her outfits, music and performances) she still stands up for what she believes
in. She always talks about being in charge and making her own decisions!
Here are some
interesting facts, quotes and highlights taken from the article:
- · “Madonna burst onto the pop-culture scene when society was transitioning from Second Wave to Third Wave feminism and gender became a "fluid category," says Janelle Wilson, a psychology professor who teaches collective memory and generations at the University of Minnesota Duluth.”
- · "But fast forward to a time when individuals are creating and re-creating their 'images' on their Face-book pages and you see a people embracing at least some of what Madonna may have been attempting to promote - that is, dissolving of binary categories, challenging conventional norms, creating spaces that are inclusive and accessible to people."
- · “Young women today accept that they can be contradictory things. You can be one person at work and one person at play," he says. She also gave licence to the celebration of girlishness that was taboo for an adult female only a few decades ago.

I'm just gonna throw it out there that I LOVE Madonna, and I grew up loving her. I don't know if i see her as a feminist so much, but more of a person who just does whatever the hell feels right - perhaps that is what makes her feminist in a sense. I mean she did write a book called sex ( which I would love to own but do not have the funds to), so yea that could be considered a part of the third wave, raunch culture.
ReplyDelete