Monday, December 10, 2012

Final Words

Before coming to SFU, I knew close to nothing about feminism or feminist thought. I mean, I think I was mildly aware of the fact that I generally subscribed to the feminist ideology, but I never really delved into it or did anything to gain more knowledge. Throughout my academic history at SFU, I've only taken two gender studies courses. I must say, I'm kind of regretting it now. These courses have enabled me to look at the world through an entirely different lens; one that allows me to think critically about myself, my community, and my surroundings. Needless to say, I'm very grateful for the lessons that I've learnt throughout the duration of this course. I was always interested to hear what others had to say due to the diverse nature of my classmates. Despite the fact that I didn't speak up that often, I can confidently say that I've taken a lot from this class, and that's mainly because of the contributions that were put forth by my peers. 

In terms of change, I plan on keeping myself more informed. Perhaps this can be accomplished by becoming more involved with my community, or by doing something as simple as reading a few blogs or articles. Also, I'm going to be more aware of issues relating to gender, sex and sexuality - topics that I feel very strongly about. I witness so much ignorance throughout my day-to-day life, and I really regret not speaking up more often. So, that's the change that I'd like to see in myself - to have more of a voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.