When I was doing
research on gender-neutral names, I came across the following blog, written by a woman named Tyson. In
the following passage, she presents her experience with her name and why she
thinks a boy’s name for a girl is not always cool or a good idea.
“Oh
where to begin??
I don’t recall much about my name as a younger child. My
first major negative association with my name was when I moved schools in the
8th grade… 1st class… gym. I go in sit down and wait… it’s a BOYS gym class.
The teacher made a big deal out of it, then I had to go to the office for them
to redo my schedule. By lunch I was “the new girl that tired to get
into the boys gym class”. Mortified doesn’t really begin to describe it,
especially for the rather shy person that I was.
…College was the first time I really started to experience
that problems that go along with having a boys name…There were so many times
during the huge lecture type classes that when going to retrieve my exam
results I’d be asked to show proof of identification when not one other single
person did. Not sure what they thought I was going to do with someone else’s
results. but it was annoying. Once again, in front of a crowd of people staring
at me, my name would be an issue. I’m not a center of attention, look-at-me
type person… that’s when I first started really cursing my name…There were
times when I’d inwardly feel embarassed when a guy I was dating would hesitate
to say my name to others or when on the phone with his parents he’d be sure
that yes HER name is Tyson.
…I always try to make a point to explain to people that
while they might think a boys name on a girl is cute or is going to make her
strong or stand out… that’s it’s how they’re raised, the experiences they have
and their personality that does that. Not their name. While I was always a shy
person, I was still very hard headed and independent. The only my name ever did
for me was make me stand out in the wrong way or a way I wasn’t comfortable
with. Now in my 30′s I find myself still having to explain that YES I am a
female.”
The part in Tyson’s
blog posting, which should be highlighted, is when she says that a person’s
experience makes him/her stand out, not the name. The experience of a person
tells us what kind of person he/she is, including personality and gender. Name,
or the label, does not tell anything about the person. So, why do we need to
care if Tyson is a man or woman?
Full story:
http://www.youcantcallitit.com/2010/09/07/why-boys-names-on-girls-are-not-always-a-great-idea/
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.