I’m doing my major in International Studies, my minor in
Psychology, and this class was the third GSWS course I have taken. So, I had
little knowledge about feminism at the beginning of the semester, and now I
think I can finally start to see things from the feminist perspective. In relation
to “change” and “practical wisdom”, I’d like to comment on how people sometimes
see Asia to be “conservative”. Being conservative is not necessarily a negative
thing. But, when discussing gender and sexuality, the appearance of the word,
“conservative”, makes me feel…ambivalent. Firstly, whether a person is Caucasian,
Asian, or African Canadian, labeling this person “conservative” is just an
excuse for not trying to decolonize this person’s mind. I think, saying
something like, “Oh, s/he is against same-sex marriage because s/he is
conservative” shuts this person out from the opportunity to be decolonized (I’m
just using same-sex marriage as an example here). Some people are very conservative,
and there is nothing wrong with being conservative in the first place. It’s a
personal choice to be liberal or conservative. But, at least, we can encourage
conservative people to understand issues like same-sex marriage better, right? I
was born and raised in Japan, and I travel to Japan three times a year to meet
my family and friends. Some of them are conservative, but that doesn’t mean
they don't want to understand issues like same-sex marriage (again, same-sex
marriage is just an example. There are many other issues). So, I told them a
story.
When I was 16, I went to a small town in Nova Scotia from
Vancouver for an exchange program. I lived with a homestay family for 10
months. In the family, there were two young mothers (they were lesbians and married)
and their 16-year-old daughter. 4 of us young women living in one house – it
was such a fun time. We exchanged clothes and accessories, we had face mask
parties on Saturday nights, and we had a couple of ugly fights. It was such an
interesting experience. When I told this story to my family and friends, they
thought it must have been cool to have had two mothers. A story with a little
bit of humor can decolonize someone’s mind, and this is something I can do.
Coming back to the statement, “Asia is perhaps not so
conservative”, I want to introduce an interesting category of people in Japan,
called “O-nee” (pronounced “o-nay”). From what I know, people and the media
started to use this term in the past 5 years to define men (people who were
born with male biological features) who are more like women. This word is a
short version of “big sister”, and this category includes transgender
individuals, gay people, drag
queens, and straight men with feminine characteristics. Although categorizing
them all together rises some problems, the name “big sister” sounds so friendly
that most people can accept this cross-gender-binary phenomenon. These days, even
people of my grandparents’ generation are used to the idea of “O-nee”. Also, we
don't have to ask, “Is s/he a man or woman?” or “Is he gay or straight?” The
answer is: they are “O-nee”.
There are many “O-nee” celebrities who appear on Japanese TV
shows due to their profession (actors, dancers, stylists, designers, artists,
psychologists, therapists, educators, etc.) or character. Some famous “O-nee” are
greatly appreciated in the fashion and beauty industry because they have a lot
of fans and their influence on the industry is paramount. Some of them appear
in girls’ magazines like Seventeen and they even have a column. Some others
appear in guys’ magazines to answer guys’ concerns related to sexuality and
relationships. I cannot conclude that the use of the term, “O-nee” will
destigmatize transgender, homosexual, or any other kind of cross-gender-binary activities
at this moment. There are discriminatory
opinions toward “O-nee”. I have never been in the shoes of anther. People
may say to me, “well, what do you know about being O-nee?” The fact is that
discrimination does exist. There are close-minded people who are against
anything that changes the current social institutions. But, the appearance of
“O-nee” in public and popular culture means that there are a lot of people who
accept and appreciate “O-nee”. So, Asia (Japan, in this case) and Asians are
not that conservative.
My point is, in Asia, there are some liberal spaces, and
there are many liberal people who accept individual differences, changes, and
different opinions regarding gender and sexuality. A policy in Asia may be a
little bit more conservative in than Canada; same-sex marriage is not yet
legalized in Japan or other Asian countries. But, I don't think a change always
has to be a top-down process. Just like how the post-feminist movement mainly involves
popular culture and media, I think the power of the cultural movement cannot be
overlooked because it could exert pressure for policy change. If the general
population starts to believe that same-sex marriage should be legalized as a
result of the appearance of “O-nee” on popular TV shows and in magazines, maybe
the policy change will follow. I think the cultural movement regarding gender
and sexuality in Asia is actually liberal and has room for further change as
well as power to create structural change in the future. Through this post, I
hope to make a contribution in decolonizing your image of Asia. Thank you for
reading a long post :)
Some "O-nee" here.
Some "O-nee" here.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.