Finally, something new and refreshing to hit the television set OTHER than thirst quenching vampires, werewolf biting, or crying toddlers in their tiaras. Mila Kunis, star of "That 70s Show" and voice to Meg of "Family Guy"is lending her talents in producing a show set in the 70s about the feminist movement. Different right? The show is to be called "Meridian Hills" and is set in a country club when the Equal Rights Amendment had just been passed. It's about a newlywed couple who joins the Junior League and teams up with the most unlikely of people in a quest to change such a sexist system (plot courtesy of NY Daily News).
With a big hollywood name like Mila Kunis, this would definitely catch the attention of viewers that would not normally be exposed to any education about equal rights or the feminist movement. I was searching high and low to see if Kunis herself would be starring in this show,but I'm sure she is, as she is easy on the eyes, so she'd be a fool not to star in it to gain more viewers. I'm glad that the feminist movement and equal rights are being spotlighted in mainstream television. Especially judging from the plot of the show, it is about changing the sexist system that exists back then (and still now!). I always feel the right exposure into the right market would send a message, and maybe finally men out there would understand feminists are not just bra burning, non- shaven, men- hating women. There's more to what feminist stand for, and a show like this can shed a new light on feminist perspectives.
...Now let's just hope this show does feminism justice.

Love this idea for a show! However, popular television does tend to twist such great ideas for its purposes of attracting a greater audience and ratings. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised if they added in some element that would alleviate that societal dislike of all things feminist and water down the feminist potential of this show... We shall see!
ReplyDeleteI heard about this and got a little nervous, like Debs! I just really hope they do a good job of it. If they portray feminism in an accurate light, it could actually be pretty revolutionary on sparking conversations on gender equality and sexuality based on feminist theory in the mainstream. On the other (more likely) hand, they will misrepresent some part of the movement and people will be left with a different opinion of feminism than we'd hope. Pleaaaase let this be an awesome new show - especially since I love Mila Kunis!
ReplyDelete