So I was one of the lucky few that didn't have a chance to speak at the round table about my paper proposal. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions as to how I can make it better. I made my supporting arguments as bullet points because i'm sure you guys get the idea :P
- Topic: Using social media as an outlet of expression to solidify ones “femininity”
o A way to express feelings and confidence or a cry for help?
o Attention seeking
o The audience these posts are for
o Dig deep into the intention of these posts
o Women falling victim to having to conform to gendered society
o Demeaning/ degrading to women/ giving women a bad name
My topic is in the rare stages of production, and really just an idea. Let me know how I can branch this and make it better. THANKS!
wow, this is a really interesting topic Heather - one that has crossed my mind a few times while on the internet, but I don't think I've ever read anything exploring it further. I agree with you that there are very real "gendered" expectations on social networking sites like Facebook, etc. Perhaps a good way to narrow your topic down a little would be to focus on one part of it - for example, the differences in profile pictures between men and women? it's been a long standing meme online that girls post "duckface" or "cleavage" shots of themselves up while boys put pictures of cars or something equally macho. I'm sure there has to be some writing out there on the demand for sexuality from women in self-photos (read: sexting, etc.). Or you could focus only on status updates, like you hinted at.
ReplyDeleteJust a suggestion, but I am seriously interested to hear where you go with this awesome topic!
Helen here: I would suggest focussing on a specific form or even usage of social media. E.g. Facebook only, or twitter only. Or even using Facebook for a particular purpose, like for a feminist group, or Twilight fan page etc. Otherwise, the topic may be much too sprawling. There has been lots of research on social media, so make sure you also read some analysis of the medium by critics and scholars.
ReplyDelete