I remember Helen saying something about posting recepies here, so I thought I would share something I make *really* often. It's great because it's a very nutritionally complete meal that doesn't cost much to make and lasts at least 3-4 days in the fridge. It's perfect for portioning out and bringing your lunch to school or work, and it's SO EASY. Also, it's open to a million interpretations, take something out, put something else in, WHATEVS!
Katie's Quinoa Salad
1cup dry quinoa
(add to 2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer, cover and leave for 15 minutes. Let cool.)
1 cucumber, diced.
1 clamshell cherry tomatoes, halved.
1 orange pepper, diced.
1 yellow pepper, diced.
1 avocado, diced. (not in season, but if you can somehow magically find a ripe one, this MAKES it)
Several handfuls of baby spinach.
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese. (Totally optional, but highly recommended!)
Protein options!
2 cups shredded chicken breast
OR
2 cans drained chickpeas. You could use any bean, but these absorb flavour crazy well.
Mix all those bastards together in a great big bowl and add:
3-4 TBSP of olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Generous dusting of fresh ground black pepper. If you opted out of the feta, I recommend some sea salt for flavour.
If you're feeling really fancy, a few pitted kalamatas are a great way to top this up.
SUPER DUPER healthy, a great way to recover after eating metric craptons of discounted Halloween candy. Don't deny it. You're eating a tiny Coffee Crisp right now, aren't you??
Lots of love,
Katie
Mmmmmmmmm!! I love quinoa and I will certainly try this recipe...thanks Katie ;)
ReplyDeleteI actually am looking at my pile of Halloween candy as I read this....
ReplyDeletethanks for the recipe, I probs have quinoa at least 2-3 times a week so that's excellent to have a new recipe!
I'm beginning to learn new ways of incorporating it into regular recipes--I added it to a vegetable soup I made instead of rice. The only shit thing was it absorbed most of the stock--woops! Clearly my chef skills need some more work!
Thanks for the recipe! I love trying new recipes and I loveee quinoa. A salad that I love to make is chickpea salad. I got the recipe from Rachael Ray, but I will post it below!
ReplyDeleteIt only takes about 15 minutes to make and it is super easy!
Ingredients:
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 red pepper chopped
celery chopped
1 clove of garlic
1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp rosemary
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
Directions:
Combine chick peas with onions, peppers, celery, garlic and red pepper flakes and rosemary. Dress the salad with vinegar and oil. Add salt and pepper!
Thanks for sharing, Katie!
ReplyDeleteI pretty much live off of quinoa salad so am always stoked to get new varieties. Some of the things I really like adding..
beets, goat cheese, pecans, cajun chicken, dates (dates, black beans, feta cheese and you've got yourself a Santa-Fe style salad), edamame beans, broccoli florets..
Anything you want, really! Thanks for the inspiration for lunch tomorrow!