The link should take you to the Huffington Post article that will explain this image more. I love the outraged faces in the background that this photos captures (though I wish this kind of sentiments did not exist).
As you will read in the article both of these women are heterosexual but did this act as a sign of solidarity and to challenge what the protest was about. What do you think about the image? Both about the anti-same sex marriage protest and the two women? I am sure there will be some discussion/backlash about their sexual orientation, their intentions, and whether they had the right to embrace this kiss because they are not gay will be brought into question - I think to as many times it is - to disempower what was trying to be said by the two women. Opinions??? To me I think it is a beautiful symbol of love and resistance in the middle of a setting with strong intolerant ideologies about who can love who, who can marry, who can have children, or just be who they want to be. I think there will be support and joy with gay communities but maybe not everyone thinks so. Thoughts??
thanks,
Itzel

Not entirely relevant, but I just wanted to pop in and say that the scandalized faces in the background are my favourite part of the whole thing.
ReplyDeleteI just read in another site calling the two women a "lesbian couple." I wonder if this is accurate or just assumed?
ReplyDeleteItzel, the article that seems to have been the first to report this protest http://www.tetu.com/actualites/france/quand-on-sest-embrassees-les-anti-mariage-nous-ont-traitees-de-degueulasses-22408 contains an interview with the girls and in one of their questions the interviewer mentions that the girls aren't gay, so I'm pretty sure that they aren't.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I agree with you that it is "a beautiful symbol of love and resistance in the middle of a setting with strong intolerant ideologies about who can love who, who can marry, who can have children, or just be who they want to be."
There is also a video of the kiss on YouTube (link at the bottom of the article I posted with the interview) and from a quick glance of the comments they primarily seem to be positive, but then again my French is rather rusty and this could also be due to the fact that you can flag comments on YouTube. There does seem to be quite a few back and forth conversations happening in French that might bring some interesting insight to your questions.