Saturday, October 20, 2012

Well done New York!

Hey Everyone!
So the stupidity in the United States surrounding birth control, abortions, and any form of reproductive rights always gives me a good chuckle (or groan- cause they're just so stupid sometimes). A couple weeks ago I saw in the Metro newspaper a little blurb about New York City offering birth control and plan b to high school students and I cheered a little. I googled it when I got home and found this interesting article on the same situation:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/25/new-york-city-schools-offer-plan-b-to-high-school-students/

I am a HUGE supporter of this plan and I think it could be a really useful tool in helping control America's teen pregnancy issues. I always find it amusing how so many people who are against this kind of thing argue that handing out birth control will make people more sexually active, when sooo many studies have been done to prove otherwise. The one concern I have about this program is that it doesn't seem to offer any sex education which I think is extremely important. It seems kind of pointless to hand out birth control, but not teaching kids about safe sex or STI's or anything else surrounding sex. However, I only read this one article about it so it could be possible that there is a sex education program attached to it as well. Overall though I think it is a huge step in the right direction for the US and women's reproductive rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.