"Vancouver is a gold mine and I love to go digging"
The
image above is the cast photo of the overtly popular reality television show
“The Real Housewives of Vancouver”.
The Real Housewives is a reality television series with numerous
installments, which are broadcasted internationally. The show follows the
lavish lives of women in Vancouver; Orange County; New York; Atlanta; New Jersey; Beverly
Hills and Miami. With a voyeuristic appeal of aspiration, viewers tune in, to
watch these women extravagant lives of shopping, not working (if they do its
not shown), drinking, and of course the drama. The Real Housewives franchise
strictly enforces the gender codes, for these women are the embodiments of a
feminine female. Blonde hair, fake boobs, face-lifts, and everything in
between, these women embody the male gaze fantasy. Although
these women live a lavish lifestyle, they are stuck in the stereotypical molds
of the housewives from before the 60s who were not exposed to equality and
women rights. Although many of these women have nannies and maids, it is evident that their role is to be a wife and a mom and
not the breadwinner. Submissive and reliant on their husband’s money, the women
on the show are often hyper ritualized by hegemony and the show promotes facade that to become rich and happy you must be supported fully by your spouse. To
change the codes within The Real Housewives series, the first thing that would
need to change would be the title. The Real Wives would be a reality TV series
following the unconventional lives of successful, strong women, who earned
their success through working. Variety will be exemplified in their
personalities, sexuality, and appearance.
The show would not focus on consumerism, beauty, and cat fights; rather
follow their stories of their journey to success. Unlike the husbands in the
current installments of The Real Housewives, these women will not be
submissive, dependent and over sexualized to the point where they are
objectified by their husbands gaze. Strong and powerful, in their personal life
and work life, this revision may lead to the negative stereotype of being a
“bitch”. This
revision will enforce a post-modernism feminist outlook on reality. As of now
post-modern feminist does not exist within society in regards to reality
television. Submissive, passive,
over sexualized, dependent, “Blond Bimbo”, etc. These weak derogatory terms
exemplify the stereotypes of rich women.
The shows offer a heteronormative view but with revision, diversity is
possible for gaze of successful married women.
Okay... I admit it, I watched every episode of The Real Housewives of Vancouver. I was curious to see how they showed Vancouver? or maybe I just like the show... I do agree that some of the housewives on the show are stuck in the stereotypical roles of the "housewife", but I would have to argue that not all of them play that role on the show. For example, Jody is a successful clothing store owner and owns a catering company. As she mentions on the show she started her catering company with only $800.00. She has "grown the company into a multi-million dollar company." Although I don't she is the best role model, I do admire that she was able to start a company at 18 years old. She also mentions on the show that her husband would love to support her and her family but she likes to work. However, she is also known for attacking the other women because they "don't work" or rely on their husbands incomes. I wish the show focused less of the drama and "cat fights" and focused more on the positives. For instance, if you look at clips that they did not include in the show but were filmed. It Includes clips of Jody feeding the homeless with her homemade soup, which she does once a week. The problem is watching someone feed the homeless doesn't get as many ratings as watching someone lash out on someone for "stripping at a party", it is quite sad...
ReplyDeleteFurthermore, I would have to argue that they only appear to have "perfect lives" because they are rich and beautiful. However, there are others aspects of their lives that the show does not focus on. Ronnie on the show has a daughter with special needs. As you find out during the reunion show her daughter was close to passing away last February after chocking on a piece of steak. Ronnie is also on the board at the BC Centre for Ability and does a lot of work with charities for children with disabilities. Also, Christina as a child was bullied and that has a lot to do with her insecurities. I wish the show would focus less on the women's appearances and more on what they have actually done to help our community. The women have done a lot for charity and it would be nice if they focused even a part of every show on that.
I definitely agree with you Stephanie. I too watched every episode of the show and yes, I know it's awful but I watch all the other versions of Real Housewives too.
ReplyDeleteFor me, the shows represent some alternate universe where I can tune in to and forget my own crap of the day. I HATE drama in my own life, so I can watch these women have insanely drama-filled lives and sit in awe.
But Stephanie and Ashtyn, you both have a point. Why do these show focus on the "housewife" motif which boxes them into certain roles that they struggle to break out of, and why don't they focus on the REAL hardships or triumphs these women experience?!
The answer is, because this is reality television. Viewers of Real Housewives of Vancouver or any of the other versions, are WELL aware that when they tune in, they won't be experiencing some intellectual delight, but rather grown-ass women throwing food at eachother across a table.
Is this terrible? Yes. Is this entertaining? Yes.
I am all for educational or actually REAL television programming, but sometimes at the end of a hard day, I just want to sit back and not have to think about anything. Shows like this allow me to zone out and relax. And I know not everyone has the same experiences with tv and I'm not trying to say my way is the better way.
Heck, I watch docs on the history channel for fun all the time (world war two groupie)!. But if I'm sad or pissed or just wanting to chill--this show is my ticket.
This may make me a "bad" feminist for being ok with a show like this, but for now that's ok with me because I have my own reasons for liking it. The best way I can describe it is doing something regardless of knowing its bad for you or having people tell you not to do it.
Sorry for my rant--hope I didn't offend anyone!